Friday, February 07, 2014

Poppies, Revisited

I came home yesterday and had a most interesting message on my answering machine...a lady in Nashville had somehow managed to look up my phone number and called wanting to ask questions about the last year's poppy costumes.

I called her back...somewhat curious as to how she found me...and left a message that the easiest way to catch me would probably be email and left my email address.

So we've been emailing back and for for the last 24 hours; she had kids who are going to be doing, I think, The Wizard of Oz and they were interested in making costumes similar to ours.

I answered the questions the best I could...I really wasn't involved in actually putting the hats together, for one thing, and, um, it's been a year for another...but I *think* I got the story straight.

But one thing remained...to post pictures of the petal patterns.  So, dug from the archives, I bring you the prototype  patterns:

Hopefully the grid will help with drafting; I added 3/8" seam allowances to the dart in the skirt petal, and we used 1/2" seam allowances everywhere else.  I think I said that I cut the waistbands 36" long, but after considering I think I actually cut them about 42" long;     I ended up cutting some off of every one but I thought it was safer to be generous. ;-)  I also think I said that the dart was sewn below the V; that's because of the added seam allowance.  The point of that curvy V is the point of the dart; some of the V will be filled in when the seam allowances are added to that dart  (that is the only place I actually added; I just used what was there everywhere else).

I really wish I'd taken more photos of the process, but I really didn't think anyone would actually want to try it.

So, Sydney in Nashville....good luck!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment