Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Poppies, Poppies pt. 2

Here's the pattern I came up with for the petals on the poppy skirt.  I found a few more images of the costume thanks to internet searches and I decided that the skirt really *isn't* made of separate petals, but of a circle skirt that has been scalloped at the bottom.

I met Madame Costume Mistress at the local Hancock's on an, um , extended lunch hour today and we looked at fabric and discussed mathematics and the necessity to be at least somewhat frugal and, wow, a double-layer lined circle skirt was going to run into some yardage.  MCM had a flash of brillance...that we could cut the pieces cross-grain on the poly shantung we found and 1) the slubs on the shantung would be running 'down' the petal and 2) we would use the least amount of fabric.  So...petals it is.

I think I will add a 3/8" seam allowance to the dart, but I'll just use a 1/4 seam around the outside of the petal; it will be lined to the edge so there's no reason to worry about a big seam allowance that will only need to be trimmed off later; and the pattern is long enough and wide enough that I can afford a seam allowance out of it.

We bought all the pertinent fabric in stock at the local store and put in an order for bunches more.  I brought home what we had and have the assignment to create a prototype skirt by the first of next week.  Fortunately, this looks like it's going to have a lot of small processes so it will be an ideal assembly-line project; the fiddly paint/trim work will be done by folks who adore doing that sort of thing.

But...I brought actual job-type work home with me tonight, since I missed 2 hours of work today; I may or may not get anything cut out.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment