Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Choir Wardrobe 01 27 13

I haven't deliberately been not-blogging this year; this has just been a slow start for me in a lot of ways.

First, I was sick and could not sing.  Last week (the 20th) I finally got my voice back and made it to choir (oh, it was lovely to be there again), but my high school girls class has changed from meeting at 8 AM to meeting at 5 PM, so what used to be an available afternoon/evening is now more or less chopped.  If I work on the weekly data entry in the afternoon, so that I have some work ready for volunteers on Monday morning, that pretty well takes over the day.  So, while I sang last week, I didn't manage to get a photo or a blog post.

I did a little better this week...I did remember to get the photo.  But it's taken me two days to get it posted.  I can see I'm going to have to be a little more intentional...or just cut myself some slack and do the weekly choir post at the first available moment.

Anyway.  The colors for January were black, gray and royal blue.  The jacket is an old RTW purchase, worn mostly to supply pocket storage.

The top is the funnel neck from the Sept 2010 Burda magazine...which I apparently have never reviewed.  Hm.  It's from the yummy bamboo/lycra jersey that Fabric Mart had for a while; I have a good bit of that leftover but haven't matched it with a pattern yet.  It worked great for this top.

The skirt is probably about 9 years old; it's a Loes Hinse Swing Skirt, made from a polyester burnout velvet.   This skirt fit better when I made it about 15 pounds ago; but with the elastic waist and a pullover top I figured I could get away with it being a little more, um, fitted than it used to be.  However, I didn't figure on the attraction of the panne velvet to the bamboo jersey and the skirt crawled up the inside of the top...something I didn't realize until I went to change clothes.  The actual length on the skirt, without being all velcroed up inside the top, is about 2 1/2 inches longer.

Fortunately the jacket camouflages the lumpiness from the creepy crawly skirt. ;-)

I can't always substitute a dress/skirt for the standard blue jeans, but this skirt fit the color scheme so well that I could get away with it.

On another topic all together, the initial parent meeting for the Spring musical was tonight.  I'm delighted to report that we have a real, experienced, designing costume mistress.  I will be sewing multiples of things.  The show opens in late April, which is a good thing.  There are 49 kids in the cast, and most of them will have at least two costumes.  That's a lotta sewing, and it's gonna start in earnest in about two weeks.

At least I will have blog material again.

No comments:

Post a Comment