Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Hamlet's Jerkin

Despite the fact that the cat wanted to eat both the gold trim and the leather lacing, I had a jerkin ready to send in in time for Monday's school performance. The Actor tells me that his director and the young lady who actually plays Hamlet both liked it.



I don't know if you can tell from the photo of the back, but I added 3/4" to the back seam and finished it off w/the lining, then used Velcro(R) to close it up. The costume changes are pretty quick, so the only way that lace-up vest was going to be useful was if it had a quick entry.

I used black moleskin (faux suede). Not as fancy as velvet would've been, but not as expensive, either... ;).

The pattern is Simplicity 4059; if I can get a picture of it on the actress I'll post it w/a review... ;)

For anyone who happens to be in the Rocket City area, the kids are doing a fundraiser performance on Monday at Lee High School at 7 PM. No admission charge per se, but they are requesting a $5 donation...trying to cover the expenses of going to the state competition (which is next weekend). Just FYI. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! I did notice that back closure, and I think it is pretty smart considering all that front lacing is not quick-change friendly. The moleskin was wise - velvet is not sewing friendly anyway. Costume, not couture! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bellissimoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! 10+

    ReplyDelete