Monday, January 12, 2009

Unexpected....

One of our pastors at church needs a costume for a para-church ministry by the end of February. He needs to be a 'pioneer parson', for want of a better description. We were supposed to meet and talk about it today, but we didn't manage to catch each other. Hopefully we'll talk about it later this week. He'll need a couple of jackets and some knee-breeches; he thinks he has a suitable shirt already. He's going to provide the fabric and perhaps even make part of the gear himself.

These folks pour a lot into ministry with kids; my youngest two are part of the children's church ministry team and work along with them; they've learned a *lot* and I'm happy to get the chance to bless the pastors. Just as long as I can squeeze it in before Easter program (there have been changes made to that plan...I should find out next week if we're going to do a Big Production or not) costuming and High School Musical costuming begins...which will be soon.

Meantime, I was surprised today to be rather obliquely asked if I were possibly interested in a paid costuming position with a local organization. My offhand reaction was 'No way would I do that!' The type of costuming is not really my expertise, and I know there are some *very* demanding time periods associated with the job, some which would conflict with other events I would want to be involved in (i.e., the church Dickens Christmas production, when/if we do that again). BUT -- it could be a very educational opportunity, and any income at the moment would be welcome. So I didn't answer right away, but agreed to consider it/pray over it at least a bit.

In all honesty, it was a very low-key inquiry, and someone else who is already involved with and volunteering with the organization would be more suited and may already be in consideration, but it was an attention getter.

Truth be told, I think I would need to volunteer with the group for a while before I could even begin to consider being a chief at all. And there is no room on my plate for any more volunteer anything.

But...we'll see...

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I can see why you're wavering. I would, too, but it if cuts into church ministry involvment . . . that might help me make the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's kinda where I'm leaning,too. Costuming really isn't my passion...presenting the Gospel in drama is.

    So.

    But...if I did it for a short term, it could make me better at what I want to do.

    But then that brings up the idea of not being fair to the organization to not be there for the long haul.

    I still haven't really had time to talk it over with My Sweet Baboo yet, though; just want to make sure we're on the same page. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Real comments are always welcome! Spam comments will never see light of day ;-)