Monday, January 26, 2009
Finally Something Sewn...
The first real project of '09...Loes Hinse's Milano Jacket. I was drawn to the design by its simplicity, but also by the fact that it has princess seams and two-piece sleeves. Traced the pattern off *months* ago, and finally decided to give it a go.
I had some poly/lycra moleskin in a gorgeous deep royal blue that I bought from Gigi Louis ages ago and decided to give it a go; I thought the satiny back of the moleskin would make it a natural for an unlined jacket. HOWEVER, I did not take into consideration the extreme drapiness...or, as it looked in the jacket, floppiness of the fabric. Moleskin just didn't have enough body to support itself; I think if I'd added some lightweight fusible interfacing to the front and the facing I'd've been a little more pleased.
But, when it was all finished, it looked better than I expected. The only *real* problem is that I forgot to shorten the sleeves before I cut them out. I marked the fold lines, but since I traced the pattern months before I actually made it, I forgot that those markings still needed to be folded out; I thought I'd shortened the sleeve at those lines when I traced it. (Note to self: Make notes to self about these things...). However, with the jacket open and the sleeves pushed up, the jacket has a casual chic look that I think I really like. Plus, the lycra in the sleeves helps hold them up.
Maybe it's a new look for me ;)